Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Best holiday of the year

I am amazed. As I sit to write, it's not yet 11 o'clock this Thanksgiving Eve. I have baked cookies -- and by baked I mean added an egg and butter to the package mix -- prepared the first half of the cranberry salad (which must sit overnight), remembered to set out the yeast rolls and managed not to burn a chess pie. I've done more food preparation this evening than in the last, uhm, what year is it? I realize this is a paltry effort compared to, oh, most any mother with two good hands and a stomach. My own mom has probably been in the kitchen for 18 hours by now. BooMama has doubtless cooked enough to make Paula Deen weep.

Roy has injected a poor, defenseless turkey with Cajun garlic marinade, and we've set aside the neck and sundry other bird gut items for Mom to use in her giblet gravy tomorrow. Roy won't touch the stuff, but he's faithful every year to set it aside for her.

And here's the really amazing part: the house is pretty clean. And there's not one basket full of clothes waiting to be folded anywhere in this house. It's like an early Christmas miracle. The fact that I can say all of this before 2 a.m. is astonishing.

Tomorrow we'll load up sometime before noon and make the five-minute drive to Mom and Dad's house. Family I haven't seen in years -- the California Garrards -- will already be there. In fact, they're probably arriving at my parents' house as I type this. Not long after we get there, the Browns will arrive en masse*. They're family by choice, and we've been gathering for Thanksgiving as long as I can remember Thanksgivings. The only year I've ever missed was when Roy and I were living in Ireland. To my shock, the Irish don't observe an American Thanksgiving. Go figure. Although one pub we visited offered free buffalo wings that Thursday. Oh, yes. Guinness and dried-out chicken wings: We were one Wampanoag short of recreating Plymouth Colony.

I've always loved Thanksgiving. By the time I hit my mid-teens, I had decided it was better than Christmas. I love being around so many people I love, so many people who make me laugh, so many people who complain about the board games we always play. There will be incredible food, someone will bring wine in a box and insist it isn't that bad. Mom will pull out all her china and my grandmother's. The silver will be used. We'll run out of room and tables and tell the kids to quiet down. They won't.

After dinner, we'll gather all the food on the island in the kitchen and cover it with a clean tablecloth. Then we'll visit and laugh and not two hours will go by before someone pulls up a corner of the tablecloth and digs in again.

I love Thanksgiving.

-30-

* Writing en masse takes me back to a lovely time in my life as a journalist. Early in my newspaper career, I pulled a story off the Associated Press wire about some poultry disease spreading through Mexico. In an effort to stamp out the disease, the government was wiping out the entire poultry population. I used the story and, pushing deadline, hurriedly slapped on the headline, "Mexico kills chickens in mass." Probably somewhere in Haiti, there are people perfectly comfortable with this marriage of voodoo and Catholicism. But that wasn't exactly what I was going for. Y'all don't go killing any turkeys in church over the holidays. Trust me. It's frowned upon.

14 comments:

Big Mama said...

What if you kill turkeys in mass while drinking wine from a box? It might make the whole experience more palatable.

Happy Thanksgiving, Toni. Hope y'all have a wonderful day!

Barb said...

Bird gut items for the giblet gravy pretty much gagged me, Toni. I cook those parts for the dog.
:-)
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Girl Raised in the South said...

Wine in a box ISNT that bad, honestly. Depends on the day you've had. Keep in mind I actually like rice cakes, so my taste may not be very developed.

Anonymous said...

In Mass! Haitian voodoo and Catholicism! I'm too full from turkey/dressing and "sundry other bird gut items" to be laughing this hard! YOU CRACK ME UP!!!

Anonymous said...

I had another comment entirely, until I read that my aunt Barb cooks giblets for her dog (We barely remembered to feed ours last night!) and that my mother aired her bad taste on the www. (Rice cakes are akin to eating styrofoam peanuts, in my opinion.) So there it is.

Ahem. I love this post--and I am in amazement that you had cooked AND cleaned your house the night before! Don't tell my husband; he'll wonder what I've been doing wrong!

Joan said...

If I ever wrote for the real world...oh heaven's...who knows what blunders I'd see. That's the good thing about blogging...everyone else reads for free, so no one can complain!

Mayhem And Miracles said...

I love your en masse comment. That is hilarious! I used to work in television and one time the prompter stopped at the most awkward spot, causing the sentence to string together all wrong and not sound very nice. And I would say EVER having ALL the laundry folded and done is nothing short of the parting of the Red Sea! Glad you had a good Thanksgiving. I've always loved it just a little more than other holidays too.

Anonymous said...

"Guinness and dried-out chicken wings: We were one Wampanoag short of recreating Plymouth Colony."--funniest statement about Thanksgiving I've read thus far!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I loved this description of your family. You can write. You know, I never heard of anyone covering the food with a clean table cloth before! The en masse comment was great. Thanks for sharing.

Toni said...

test

Toni said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

test

Sarah said...

Hey, look at your new page! When I typed in the address today to see if you had a new post, I thought I made a mistake. Have a happy Friday:)

Buxom Mama :)

Anonymous said...

test