Sunday, December 03, 2006

Getting abreast of the situation


Author's Note: I know I have a few readers of the male persuasion, which is fabulous, of course, with me liking men and all. But the following is intended for a female audience. I've got material too rich to pass on, but I really don't care to share it with anyone possessing both an X and a Y chromosome ... unless you happen to be my husband. In which case I hope you know who you are. So, if you don't have breasts, you'll need to skip this one. Or, at the very least, pretend you did.


6666

My mother-in-law, Sandra, says that as we age, medical tests get steadily more invasive and dehumanizing.

I'm beginning to see that may be true. Certain events took place, which had me taking a trip to the radiology department last week for my first mammogram.

Yippee.

The procedure was mostly about peace of mind, in light of an It's-Probably-Nothing concern. Of course, like most women, I'd heard about how getting a mammogram is even more fun than an annual pelvic exam. And I'd seen the stock photos of a woman getting one. Those pictures usually show the woman from behind, perhaps partially draped, while a sweetly smiling tech (let's call her a boob technician) takes an x-ray from behind the protective screen.

It's quite clear why you only see the back of the patient. The kindly photographer is shielding you from the fact this woman's boob -- besides looking like a week-old, Dollar Store balloon wedged under the dresser -- is being pulled two feet from her body by a $300,000 vice. They like to call it a "mammography machine." Wink. Wink. And the tech is smiling because 1) her boobs are not where yours are, and 2) you look ridiculous.

The whole procedure, while necessary and not particularly painful, is pretty much an exercise in humility. In situations like that, I find it's best to roll through with humor. My boob technician, it turns out, was a former student of my mother's and remembered me from when I occasionally accompanied Mom to school. Life is funny, you know. One day you're 11 and shyly waving hello to a roomful of teenagers. The next day one of those teenagers is 42 and telling you you'll need to wear nipple stickers. That's what she said. Nipple. stickers.

I lifted one eyebrow.

"We're all out of tassels," she deadpanned. Thus I discovered a boob technician after my own heart.

The whole clamping ordeal -- you must get in as much breast tissue as possible -- reminded me a bit of trying to get an overstuffed pillow into a starched case: you shove on this side, and it pops out the other. My job, I was told as she positioned and tightened, was to relax. Yes, relax.

At that, I couldn't help but laugh out loud -- which of course created jigglege, which then necessitated reclamping. Eventually, though, I just sort of checked out of my body and watched remotely. Not exactly like Shirley McClain, but with that part of myself that takes notes to process later. And here's one of the things I noted: It is possible, even when one's mammary glands have gone from oval to linear, even when a virtual stranger is sticking metal-tipped stickers on parts of oneself never intended for accesorization, it is possible even then to continuously suck in one's stomach.

Because, by golly, a girl has to maintain her image.

-30-

14 comments:

Brenda said...

You are a riot. So just how painful is "not particularly"? I'm due for my first, and I'm not particularly looking forward to it. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to get a boob technician with a sense of humor.

PEZmama said...

I feel bad about getting such a good laugh out of your humiliation.

I'm still laughing...

Big Mama said...

Should I feel ripped off that my mammogram didn't include nipple stickers?

And, and the fact that you sucked in your stomach makes me love you.

Toni said...

Brenda,
"Not particularly" means it really didn't hurt at all, though it was uncomfortable. But then, I imagine women more endowed than I might not be of the same view.

Toni said...

I've heard from at least one friend who can't leave a comment since I swithced to beta.blogger. If you run into the same problem, would you mind sending me an email as a heads up? I haven't figured out why this is happening. (And if you have any ideas, let me know, pretty please.)
Toni

L's Lair said...

Okay. You have me paralyzed with fear. "My first" won't occur for another couple of years. Unfortunately, I've been *ahem* blessed in the chestal region. What if they deflate them & they won't go back into place?!! Do you think I'd have a leg to stand on in a court of law? "Your honor, I submit to you Exhibit A" (or double D, as it were). :-[

Joan said...

funnier than funny!

Whew.

I've heard that even if you have trouble signing in under blogger,you can sign in as "other" and post your web page with no problem. I've tried it on troublesome sites and it's gotten me "in".

Karla Porter Archer said...

i need to start preparing for one of these now that I am the big 3-5 too... thanks for helping me look forward to it! ;)

Blessings,
Karla

Anonymous said...

Too funny. You know, my kids get a sugar free lollipop, and a sticker when they go to the pediatrician. You SHOULD at least get tassels after a mammogram--it is fitting.

So sorry they were out.

Barb said...

I was doing just fine, Toni. Then I saw "jigglege." That one did me in.

Yep, there's pretty much nothing in the whole world more humiliating than a mammogram. I couldn't even bear to look at my last one. Just way too disgusting.

I'm glad you got it done, though. It's important.

Sarah said...

This is what I get for giving up Bloglines--I missed this one! And it made me laugh--you always make me laugh:)

Next time, hold out for the tassels.

Robin said...

I'm sure my dr will let me know it's time for me to start having these at my next yearly. This actually makes me feel better about it. At least I know what to expect.

I am, as everyone else, lauging...sorry it's at your expense!

PS I have blogger beta and have only been able to leave comments on non-blogger beta people for about 3 weeks or so. If they can't they need to just re-log in and try again. Usually works for me.

Girl Raised in the South said...

Perfect assessment. The pelvic - mostly about discomfort. The mammogram - mostly about humiliation. Sometimes I spend a minute thinking over the fact that I prefer discomfort to humiliation. I have a friend who gets both done on her birthday every year, to have only one awful day a year, then she goes out to eat a fattening meal by herself. Good plan I think.

Musings of a Housewife said...

LOL! LOL! LOL!!! I can so relate. I was at the cardiologist recently, and he had to put all those EKG stickers all over me, and I laid there, sucking in my stomach the whole time it was visible. And when he went to listen to my stomach, he said, "tighten your stomach muscles". Um, Yeah. I already am. Guess that tells you a little about my post partom figure.