Thursday, November 02, 2006

A cowboy, an Indian and an ill-mannered orangutan

Apparently along with the gum, lolly-pops, fake cigarettes and jaw breakers, Connor and I picked up a virus for Halloween. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to have hit Connor as hard as me. (Yes, I knocked on wood -- you know, just in case there is no God but rather an angry family of imps randomly punishing people for spilling salt, breaking mirrors and assuming they've dodged trouble.)

Halloween night was fun. We trekked over to my parents' house so the kids could show off their costumes to Grandbee and Granddad. A few days earlier, we spent a small fortune on Connor at Lone Star Western Wear. I was going to go the Wal-Mart route, but Roy and I decided to splurge, and the kid's outfit ended up costing about the same as a one-minute Super Bowl ad. It was worth it, though, when I saw him all dudded up. Connor looks like my dad in his Stetson. As for Madeline, well, she was a Disney Princess for the fourth year running. This year it was Pocahontas. A very blond, Nordic-looking Pocahontas.

Roy couldn't make it because, poor man, he was home in bed with a migraine. Nevertheless, the kids and I met up with Erin and her clan to trick-or-treat through Bel-Air neighborhood. Folks there have to buy candy in milo-sized bags.

It was, as always, a memorable experience. On the occasions I hung back while the kids walked up to a door, inevitably something interesting would happen. Connor really enjoys ringing doorbells and viewed the evening as a doorbell delicatessen. Once, Madeline reported he had squashed a plant. I asked him if this was so.

"No," he said very seriously. "I just laid on it."

About 30 minutes into the evening, Madeline began grabbing her throat and making fairly impressive hacking sounds. "I need water," she demanded. "I need water!"

"Did you eat hot candy?" I asked.

"No! I'm just thirsty." She looked at me as though I was capable of pulling a Capri Sun out of my nose.

We stared at one another a while, her exasperation refreshingly wordless. She waited for me to DO something.

"Well," I offered, "I could spit in your mouth." Because, you know, I'll go the extra mile for my kids. "Otherwise, I don't know what you expect me to do at this moment." I held my hands out to verify I had no liquids.

She looked at me the way she will be looking at me for at least the next 15 or so years and turned on her Disney Native American heel toward the next house. There were about a billion kids pressing toward the door and I was caught toward the back with Connor. So it wasn't until I heard the man at the door saying, "Yes, sweetheart, go right on in." And the yelling: "HONEY, can you get this little girl some water?!" that I realized Madeline had taken matters into her own hands.

By the time I made my way past the press of humanity and identified myself as the camel's mother, she was walking out of their kitchen wiping her mouth with the back of her hand and looking very satisfied. I guess the spitting idea wasn't her first choice.

Once home, the kids had a few pieces of candy, and I got them cleaned up and to bed, just in time to have my mom come over while I took Roy to the ER with his migraine. Two hours and shot of Demerol and Phenergan later, he was doing much better.

Wednesday morning, I woke up not feeling so great. Nevertheless, Roy's headache was gone, and we had plans to go to the Fort Worth Zoo with the kids, where Roy had arranged to meet a high school friend of his (with her oldest daughter) whom he hadn't seen in 21 years. When it's been over two decades since a visit -- not to mention having told the children 500 times they would be going to the "big, big zoo" that day -- feeling a little under the weather and having logged a trip 10 hours earlier to the emergency room isn't enough to call it off. So away to the zoo we went.

We did indeed meet up with Roy's friend, Shannon, who, not surprisingly, proved to be lovely and witty company. Those two caught up as we walked through the exhibits. My favorite was the primates. Connor was particularly fond of the orangutan, which looked just like the one in "Every Which Way But Loose." While I was thinking about Clint Eastwood and how much I hated that movie and wondering why it was broadcast on network TV at least 50 times when I was a kid, the hairy beast walked right up to Connor from the other side of the glass and proceeded to eat his snot.

I don't buy into humans having descended from monkeys, but Connor and that primate have eerily similar eating habits.

About an hour and a half into our visit, I was freezing -- more so than the weather should have caused -- and feeling generally awful. So I excused myself from our company, left the kids with Roy and returned to the car.

And I slept. For two hours. In the zoo parking lot.

So that's what I did yesterday: Went to Fort Worth to take a nap.

Good times.

-30-

13 comments:

Big Mama said...

I love that you said a "very Nordic looking Pocahontas" and that she gave you the look she'll be giving you for the next 15 years. As for the offer to spit in her mouth...makes me just adore you.

I laughed from start to finish and your kids are adorable. I love the costumes.

Anonymous said...

My kids always say "I'm thirsty and I don't want to drink my own spit" - I love the offer of your spit - I am definately going to use that one!

Barb said...

Thanks for starting my day with a big smile on my face, Toni. You always crack me up. The kids look adorable, I'm sorry you're sick and the photo is wonderful.

Roy's migraine is the first time I've ever heard of a man I kinda sorta know getting one. I get them but his must be something else if it involved a trip to the emergency room. Makes me think I'm very lucky mine aren't like his. Poor guy.

I hope everyone is back in tip-top shape soon.

PEZmama said...

Even when you don't feel well, y ou crack me up.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Anonymous said...

I've said that about spitting. My kids weren't any more impressed with me.

So, let me get this straight, hubby is walking around with Ms. Witty and Lovely while you are in the car sick?

Yeah, we won't be meeting up with "old friends" pre-marriage. I just can't deal!

After all, I'm all he ever needs to catch up with, and we are usually behind ourselves as it is. Any catching up needing to be done, WE'LL be on a date!

Anonymous said...

Thank you~as usual, you are FUNNY, FUNNY and I needed to laugh. Your little family of cowboys and Indian look great.

Oh, and also, thanks for providing the jump-start to my post-Halloween, pre-Thanksgiving diet plan. I had NO trouble putting the "fun sized" Snickers/Kit Kats/Butterfingers down after reading about the spitting. And the snot. : )

Toni said...

Hi, Maggie. Just to clarify, Ms. Witty and Lovely is a happily married mother of eight (!), whose eldest child, a teenager, just happens to be involved in a project that brought her to Fort Worth for a convention. Since R. went to high school in Germany, a chance to talk to a h.s. friend is quite a treat. But the truth is, even if she were single and childless, I wouldn't have begrudged them the opportunity to catch up. R. and I are good, you know? ;-)

Girl Raised in the South said...

I dont know which is my favorite - the oraguntan eating snot, offering to spit into your daughters mouth and her giving up her fear of strangers to go inside and get a drink, or you dressing up with the kids - all around delightful!

Anonymous said...

you are too funny. And I love the picture of you and the kids. You all look great.

federoff11 said...

Miss supposedly witty and lovely here... it was all above board, ladies. Roy has been like a big brother (and sometimes an annoying mother!) to me! It had been 18 years, and I was thrilled to see him happy and pleased with life. I'll have to post some pics on my blog... our daughters (my 14 year old and Toni's 5 year old) had a great time. Toni missed them skipping hand in hand through the zoo! It was magical.

Toni, God bless you! And Roy sent me this link. He's proud of your musings, like a good dh should be!

federoff11 said...

Oops! Should have been MRS. supposedly Witty and Lovely. Married to MR. Witty and Handsome. With eight children, since they got married. Who is a chastity educator.

There, is Roy's honor safe now? :-)

Unknown said...

I love the pictures.

Sarah said...

I'm not sure which I love more, your post, or your and Mrs. Witty and Lovely's comments:)

It's always worth the wait for a new post from you!!