Sunday, November 12, 2006

Worrying, happiness, vomit and thanksgiving, or The Day I Turned 35


Today is my birthday. From college on, I don't recall getting particularly excited about a birthday. I'm perfectly pleased to have lived another year, and haven't the slightest qualm about my age. But a birthday is pretty much another day for me, except, if I'm lucky, my mom phones early to sing happy birthday. I get a few thoughtful presents. Some people I love call me or even visit. Those are good things.

Yesterday was the 25th anniversary of the day my best friend's father died. She's the same age now her dad was when he died. That and something else that occurred yesterday had me thinking this morning -- before I ever got out of bed -- about the possibility of dying young. (Not that I've been given any bad news, mind you.) Connor wouldn't remember me. Madeline wouldn't remember me well. So there I was -- the woman who rarely cries at crying-appropriate times -- all weepy.

Poor Roy. He behaved as though he didn't even notice the wife he went to bed with had obviously been body snatched by Sally Fields in a performance somewhere between "Steel Magnolias" and "Not Without My Daughter."

Connor woke and crawled into bed with us, and we giggled together. Then Madeline made an appearance in all her tumble-headed glory. And I felt better.

We all joined Mom and Dad for breakfast before church, and I got presents and kisses and the pleasure of just being with my parents ... without having to pull Connor into the bathroom for a stern talking to/thrashing. Nothing spilled. No one cried.

I felt good.

The music was great in church. The band led us in a super-charged, rockin' down-home version of "I Saw the Light" which no one under 30 had the slightest clue what to do with. But we older folks -- you know, 35 and up -- clapped and sang like we all have Dolly Parton and Randy Travis on speed-dial. Oddly enough, there were helium-filled white balloons loose in the sanctuary -- probably the remnants of a wedding -- which would swoop down from time to time while we sang and while the pastor preached. Kyle made a joke about how God had appeared as a dove. Maybe he takes balloon form these days. From then on, I imagined the slowly diving and lifting orbs as his spirit. I know they were just balloons, but the visualization was a comfort.

Sometimes, even when it brings out the Sally Fields in us. Even when it's at an inappropriate time, like your birthday, I think it's worthwhile to remember we aren't promised tomorrow. "Man is like a breath. His days are like a shadow that passes away," the psalmist tells us. In my recent sleeplessness, I came face-to-face with a review of regrets I would have if, indeed, I didn't have tomorrow: an angry response to a wet bed, days and days without answering a prompting to open my Bible, putting off making cookies with Madeline, not getting under the sheet-and-chair tent with Connor. Not praying enough.

Our church had a potluck Thanksgiving meal tonight. Unfortunately, Roy couldn't go with me because -- in the fine tradition of my sister throwing up on me one long-ago Christmas Eve -- poor Madeline was hit by a stomach virus this afternoon. You know, to commemorate Mom's special day. Roy insisted on staying home with the kids, so I went on and even wore the tiara and red feather boa all members of our small group must wear during their birthday celebrations. Picture the looks caused by a woman sweeping by in twist of red feathers, a head full of cubic zirconia and a plate piled with chicken enchiladas. Priceless.

After we ate, Kyle told us about the Pilgrims' tradition of counting blessings during the meal and prompted us to do the same. It was a wonderful exercise and a great way to close out the evening. In fact, expanding on what was shared around the table tonight, the following is an incomplete, in-no-particular-order, off-the-top-of-my-head list of 20 things I'm thankful for:

1. I'm thankful for a great marriage. Not a good one. A great one;
2. I'm thankful for two healthy kids (present stomach virus excluded);
3. I'm thankful Madeline didn't throw up in a restaurant;
4. I'm thankful for the carwash vacuum cleaner, floor mats and Febreeze;
5. I'm thankful for the flowers, the cake and the balloons waiting on me at dinner tonight (even if the balloons were already tangled 40 feet up in the ceiling joists when I arrived);
6. I'm thankful for thick, warm socks on a cold night and the feeling of taking my bra off after a long day;
7. I'm thankful for music -- jazz, rock, pop, praise, bluegrass and even the occasional splash of hip-hop;
8. I'm thankful for living in a country where education, access to healthcare and the right to worship and vote are largely considered givens;
9. I'm thankful the holidays are coming, and I'll have a chance to make memories and take pictures and see my children thrilled;
10. I'm thankful for terrific friends, good conversation and a bottle of wine;
11. I'm thankful for being tall;
12. I'm thankful for serving in a church that truly cares about people;
13. I'm thankful I can pick up most of my children's toys with my toes;
14. I'm thankful Roy is able to provide well for our family;
15. I'm thankful my mother-in-law just moved back to Texas;
16. I'm thankful my parents live in the same town, and my sister has a new baby boy;
17. I'm thankful I have a brother who enjoys my company;
18. I'm thankful for a king-sized bed and the man who shares it with me;
19. I'm thankful for good books that don't end with the hero dead; and
20. I'm thankful for God's grace.

Your turn.

-30-

20 comments:

Sean Carter said...

Firstly all my best wishes on your birthday!!!! And it's so nice to know that you're enjoying every moment of your life....that's so great...and hey that's a nice list of things you're thankful for....and hey if you wanna add a couple of more things to your list then just visit my Thanksgiving Blog sometime and find out all the other things that we all are thankful for....well visit soon and have a great time!!!!

Anonymous said...

.....I'm thankful for this new-to-me group of people, and you're at the top of this list, who share their wonderful, messy, fun, truthful, thankful, lovely lives with the rest of us. Happy Birthday, new friend.

Phyllis

Big Mama said...

Happy Birthday Toni! I wish you all the best and that the stomach bug doesn't catch up to you.

I don't know what made me laugh harder, Sally Field in Steel Magnolias and Not Without My Daughter or having Dolly Parton and Randy Travis on speed dial. Either way, you are one of the funniest people I know (well, not know, but kind of know).

Thanks for reminding me to count my blessings, I needed it.

boomama said...

Happy Birthday one day late!

And I'm so linking to this.

Most excellent.

And I got your note in the mail. Thanks a bunch. More about that later. :-)

Shalee said...

Happy birthday, Toni! (I too made it to 35 this year and it's been great so far - just like the 34 years before it.)


Sounds as if your day was delightful, stomach flu and all. And I love the boa-tiara tradition. That's a classic.

This thankful list is excellent. I've been thinking of listing mine; this is just the encouragement I need to just do it.

Anonymous said...

Came here from BooMama and wanted to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I made it to 36 and I want to stay in my 30's forever they have been the greatest. Blessings.

mamashine said...

Here from Boomama also. happy birthday! What a good post! I love your list.

Tammy said...

Wonderful post, Toni...and Happy 35th birthday!

You know...this must be a theme because it was along the line of my recent post. Please go take a peek...and knowing my age will make you feel young! ;)

PEZmama said...

Happy Birthday, belatedly.

I love your list. I have a blog of the blessings I have been counting, and I have seen, first hand,how counting them really can change my attitude and perspective.

Thanks for the reminder to do this.

Barb said...

Happy Birthday, Toni. 35 is just a great age to be. Your list is wonderful. And I have to say, you look very cute in the red boa and the tiara. That's some tiara!

Anonymous said...

Ah, 35!! I remember it well!

Of course, that's my unconfirmed mental age at this moment. The body may sag, girlfriend, but the mind stays sharp!

Enjoy 35 for all it's worth...for many, many years to come!

And that's just one more thing to be thankful for...

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday & Many More!

I am at a workshop and sneaking a peak at some blogs! Your tribute was beautiful and gave me the chills.
Thanks!

cmhl said...

happy birthday!!!! this is a beautiful post!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday,Toni!

You so inspired me, I made my own list!

Sandy

Qtpies7 said...

Happy birthday! I hit 35 this year, as well. I don't mind birthdays, either, and I don't need a fuss, I just want my mom and dad to remember me and give a call.
I'll be doing my thankful list next week. Or maybe today after a doctor's appointment with my 2 week old who may have had a seizure.
I'm thankful to have a 2 week old baby! And I'm thankful to have 7 children, all healthy and happy (minus the teens not getting to do what they want, whaahaha).
God bless,
qtpies7
www.qtpies7.blogspot.com

Dawn said...

I came over from Boo Mama and truly enjoyed your thoughts on being 35 and your thankful thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I am thankful that we are coming home in 1 month

I am thankful for friends both old and new.

I am thankful that the church is universal and transcendent,

I am thankful for warm, windy summer days, the sound of kookaburras just before the weather changes and the sound of rain on the skylight.

I am thankful for nights with my husband, days with my children, and occassional times all by myself.

Happy Thanksgiving--wish we could be there.

Anonymous said...

Toni, a Belated Happy Birthday to you! I must say, I forget to check this thing regularly. I'm thankful for:

Freelancing for a conservative parenting magazine

Meeting an amazing man and falling in love with him 27 hours after my divorce became final

Seeing beautiful photos of old friends' kids who look like Mini Toni and Mini Roy (I teared up when I saw the kids... really)

Having the strength to change the direction of my life 180 degrees in less than a year

Meeting my new niece, Harper, after Amie's labor is induced this upcoming Friday

And being able to tell you that you really are beautiful with your crown and feathers on. I'll always love you, Toni. (hands over e-orange)

Cheers... Lori

Girl Raised in the South said...

Happy Birthday - you seriously look about 16. Your birthday list was a gift to US. And #6, my personal favorite - I plan to not even put mine on Thanksgiving Day - mind you we have no guests for dinner except the dog and cat who wont care a whit. We've vowed we may stay in pjs the whole livelong day, from Macys parade til the last down of the last game. Great writing, as usual.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

You had me at hello. Well, at least at the eloquent list of things for which you're thankful. The taking off of the bra feeling--my friends and I talk about that quite often! I'd love to link to your site.