Friday, September 22, 2006

The other man in my life

I was out late with the children tonight. Those of us who went to Guatemala last month gathered with loved ones at Ted and Melissa's house to watch an incredible video Steve put together from the thousands of photos taken on the trip. Afterward, we ate more and talked while the kids played upstairs in an Elysian Fields of a playroom.

What with all the visiting and kids not bothering me and pudding eating and visiting, it was just after 11 before I gathered the children and headed home. We skipped teeth brushing (they'll grow new ones) and got right down to the nitty-gritty of prayers and "see ya in the mornin'."

Madeline was asleep inside five minutes. Over half an hour later, Connor was still restless. He's been afraid of the dark lately, so I let him go to sleep with a little flashlight. Sounds like a bad idea, I know. But, to my surprise, he usually turns it off after a short while and goes on to sleep. I suppose it's more about the comfort of having a light than using it.

A few minutes ago, I went in to check on him. As I pulled the tangled sheets from under his little body and spread them out again, he shined his growling tiger flashlight on me.

"You're beautiful, Mom," came a voice raspy from sleep and allergies.

I leaned down closer. There was no charmer's grin. He was sleepy serious. Before I could gather myself to respond, he said again -- in case I hadn't heard the first time -- "You're beautiful."

I put my lips next to his ear.

"That's the sweetest thing you've ever said to me," I whispered. "Thank you."

It wasn't what he said. It was the way he said it: spontaneous, unsolicited, sincere. I thought of all the times he's frustrated me and when I held him as a newborn so full of love I thought my heart might break. I thought of the years ahead when he'll naturally start to pull away, and my heart will break.

You're beautiful, Mom.

My hair is pulled back in an ugly hairband I use for face washing. The makeup hiding the scar across my eyebrow is gone. I'm wearing a 15-year-old robe.

He thinks I'm beautiful.

-30-

12 comments:

Diane@Diane's Place said...

I have tears in my eyes and the most sappy grin on my face. And now my nose is running. But reading this was so worth a runny nose.

It's the moments like this that make all the sacrifices and tough times worth it.

Okay, I think you should go ahead and keep him. ;D

Sarah said...

Ditto on what Diane said:)

And won't his wife love him to pieces!

What a sweet post to start a Saturday morning with!!

Oh, and I left you a comment in my comments. Should've left it here, now that I'm awake enough to think;)

Big Mama said...

That's one of the sweetest things I've ever heard.

They can melt your heart, can't they?

Barb said...

Way to just melt your heart, huh. And he's not bad looking either. Way cute as a matter of fact. He's a keeper. :-)

Sarah said...

THAT is so sweet and precious -- I'm glad you have now recorded it. I'm sure there will be days you'll need it! :-)

Anonymous said...

He's precious in the photo, with a precious heart to match. Boys can make your heart just drop like nobody else when they show their love for you. I miss that (we've had a series of teenage-boy-days around here.) I should make mine read this..... :)

*Although, in full disclosure, my 16-year-old, after a not so lovely day with him and his hormones, came in sheepishly with a bag for me. When I looked inside I found: a Kit Kat bar, Peanut M&M's, and Reese's Cups!! So, you know, he's still alive! :) (And truly, that was pretty sweet--I mean, I think he even used his OWN money!) In my book, he is STILL my sweet little boy!

Thanks for a lovely story.

Tammy said...

I am crying. That was so incredibly beautful, I just don't have any words.

Girl Raised in the South said...

Nothing quite like your boy telling you youre beautiful, especially when you look less than wonderful and its completely from the heart. Moments like that can get through a lot of others that are tough. I bet you just wanted to freeze that moment in time, not let it go.

Anonymous said...

Your last post evoked so much empathy from my own I Miss My Husband Experiences . With the empathy rolled a much bigger wave of laughter that I really needed !Thanks ! Whew !
Now with this one I was so choked up that I couldn't finish reading it out loud to my He's Here Tonight Husband.
Ok , thanks...again...God bless !

Lacey said...

I love it! :) What a BEAUTIFUL post!! :)

Linda said...

What a precious moment. And to tell you the truth, it sometimes still happens when they are 36 years old and have little ones of their own. Then you look at them and remember and are so thankful.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

This is the kind of moment you can't really share with friends who haven't had children. I mean, you can, but until your heart could be wrung out in love on one little being, you just can't know what this love is.