Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A leaky tire, a fake leg and Floam

I am a mess.

I have friends whose husbands have been away from their families many months at a time. These women dig in. They go deeper. They find reserves of strength.

Here I am, lo unto the second week of Roy's absence. I have dug in and gone deeper only to discover I am perhaps not suited for single motherhood, in the way Notorious BIG is not suited for children's music.

Let's review the past couple of days.

I had intentions of being good -- of getting up early every morning to have some quiet time. It hasn't turned out that way, so much. After pushing the snooze button a number of times that requires the use of integers, I rolled out of bed yesterday having to get Madeline up, pack her lunch, get us both dressed, force her to eat two bites of SOMETHING (not eating breakfast = godlessness), scoop Connor out of bed and get her to school before the tardy bell rang.

35 minutes? No problem.

I pulled up alongside the curb where one of the helpful teachers -- who was beginning to give straggling parents the we-really-need-to-get-inside-now look -- headed over to our car. At this point, I turn around in my seat to hand Madeline her cute, pink monogrammed backpack. Unfortunately, it's upside down, so the top comes unsnapped in her hands. Which, although nothing fell out, greatly irritates Madeline who wastes no time telling me about it (which, in all fairness, pretty much mirrors my behavior the past several days).

The teacher is getting closer. Other late arrivers are waiting for us to Unload The Child and move on. I snatch the backpack, invert it, snap it, hand it to her again. She starts to put it on her back. The bag is fairly small, and the straps aren't too long, so in order to get it on her back, she has to shimmy into it using chicken-esque arm flapping motions.

Get out of the car first, I tell her. Which, of course, ratchets up the tension. Then I remember her four-pack of cinnamon-flavored applesauce for snack times and hand it over as she's fighting with her pack.

Oh my good Lord. You would think I handed the child an oil-slicked octopus. The audacity of asking her to carry TWO THINGS in her TWO HANDS was, well, too much.

Despite the plethora of items she had to juggle -- in fact, the teacher had read the scene and moved on to another car behind us -- she somehow found it possible to slap her face into her hands out of the sheer horror of having landed such a mother. Finally, when I said something nice like, "Get out of the car. Now!" she exited the vehicle only to find it impossible to close the car door, what with an item in each hand and all.

She shoved at it halfheartedly with the applesauce pack. It moved a few inches. She looked at the door. Shrugged and turned toward the building. At this point, I employed my highly refined knowledge of child psychology by hollering: "If you don't CLOSE THE DOOR I'll spank you RIGHT! NOW!"

Magically, she managed to do just that fairly quickly, but not before I added, "Have a good day. Love you."

Then I went home, got Connor dressed, fed, lunch packed and carted him off to Angel Keepers for a portion of the day. I discovered somewhere during all this that I had a low tire. So I went to a convenience store, put in my 50 cents (because we certainly wouldn't want to offer free AIR, would we?) and stared at the lifeless hose. Busted.

I drove off, leaving behind my air pressure gauge. I pulled into another gas station. The air pump had an Out of Service sign on it. I moved on.

The air pump at the next station had no sign on it. But it cost 75 cents. Because, of course, we wouldn't want the price of air to be competitive. I had two quarters left and managed to find enough loose coins to exchange them for the all-important third one. I inserted them. I staired at the lifeless hose.

Have I mentioned it was raining?

The clerk kindly provided me not with 75 cents, but with an 800-number I can call for recompense. Yeah. I'll get right on that.

A customer witnessed the exchange and informed me Brookshire's has -- are you ready for this: -- free air. So I drove across town. Yeah. There's an Out of Service sign on the pump.

Sigh.

I pulled into an auto service station, quickly explained the situation, throwing myself, like Blanche DuBois, on the kindness of strangers. All six employees, heretofore seated comfortably and probably discussing the president's address before the United Nations, shot me blank looks. The kind of look that makes you think if you had a spare banjo, there might possibly be a showdown to follow.

Finally, to get me out of there, one fellow graciously aired up the afflicted tire. Thank you, Jesus.

Later that day, when I return home with both children, I find a prosthetic leg hanging from my back door. Really. A prosthetic leg. Hanging. From my back door.

A friend of a friend had dropped it off for me to return to its owner, whom I sorta know, through my husband.

I just wish it had been an arm, because at this point, I could really use an extra hand.

Then tonight as I worked to get the kids in bed, Connor walked into Madeline's room where I was enjoying a nice mommy moment combing out her hair. He was still undressed, having not been long out of the bath. Without preamble, he turned his back to me, bent over, grabbed both bottom cheeks and said, "Look."

Have you ever heard of Floam? It's basically goop -- in this case pink goop -- filled with Styrofoam pellets, which can then be molded or used to coat various items. The various item during this instance would be my son's posterior. Or, as his best friend Caleb likes to say, his boodelay.

If Roy was here, I imagine Connor would still have applied pink Floam to his boodelay, but it would be nice, so nice, to have said, "Roy, could you remove the Floam from your son's hiney?"

Opportunities like that don't come along every day.

-30-

18 comments:

Diane@Diane's Place said...

In the trenches, are we, Toni? I've had those days, but I will say, I don't recall ever coming home to find a prosthetic anything attached to my back door. I do think I'd remember that if it had ever happened to me....

So, tell me, how difficult (and painful!) is it to remove Floam from a little boy's hiney and appertenances? ;D

Girl Raised in the South said...

Loved all of it - but the extra leg vs extra hand - that had me! Sorry you have to have a miserable few days but such fun to share it with you. If I were about 1000 miles closer I'd lend you an arm, really, albeit still attached to my body, not hanging on your back door knob.

Toni said...

To answer the Floam-removal question: Fortunately, it comes off easily with water. So a wet rag did the trick nicely.

Melissa said...

Toni,

Empathizing with you, and trying (unsuccessfully)not to laugh out loud while I'm sitting at my desk. Leave it to you to take the everyday JUNK of life and make it amusing somehow.

Thanks for being honest, and for the jolt to start my morning!

PEZmama said...

I am perhaps not suited for single motherhood, in the way Notorious BIG is not suited for children's music.

Hilarious.

The whole post actually. Thank you for the laugh(s.)

I can relate. I too have found that I don't have much depth when it comes to life without my husband. I do hope today is better for you.

Minnie said...

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Floam in his BUTT!? Now THAT is funny!

My husband is on a two-week-long business trip as well and today marks one week with him gone. I am totally appreciating this post!!

Big Mama said...

I'm not sure which is funnier...the floam in the boodelay or needing an extra hand. Either way I laughed out loud several times. Funny, funny, funny.

Not that I'm laughing at your pain, I'm laughing with you.

Anonymous said...

I all of my mommy grumpiness this morning I really needed that laugh. Thank you.

Robin

Anonymous said...

In the "If-It-Makes-You-Feel-Any-Better-Department": I had one of those days a few years back. And while my head was exploding in all manner of daily frustrations, my little boy didn't KNOW THAT WE WERE HAVING A BAD DAY. He was doing all the things you do when you are having a good day. And that is when, in a moment of pure evilness, I yelled at him, "STOP ALL OF THAT WHISTLING!!!!" (Crazy-lady translation: "Stop being so HAPPY.") I felt awful. Just like I had crushed his little spirit. (Thankfully, he has overcome crazy Mama's bad days, and he STILL whistles. Music to my ears!)

We've ALL had those kind of days. Well, except for the Floam. And the ARTIFICIAL LEG!!!!

Toni~even if you feel like you're losing your mind while your husband is away.....you've STILL got your funny!

:)

Simple Kim said...

You crack me up! You are always so funny. I used to be funny, too but now I have a teenager and I am just plain stupid!

Chris said...

WHAT A HOOT!!!

Although it couldn't have been fun to go through, it sure makes a great post. Thanks for sharing!

April said...

I followed a link from pezmama's post over here. Thanks for a big laugh. Hope the kids are asleep. It's always easier once they're asleep (if they will but stay asleep & in their rooms).

Blessings, April

Anonymous said...

Wow, Toni, what a day. It was hilarious to read about, though. :) The prosthetic limb had me laughing so hard! The weirdest things always happen when the husbands are gone, don't they?

Kelli said...

You made your daughter carry TWO things? in her HANDS???

Woman, you need help.

And for pete's sake- hide the floam. Buys will be boys- and who knows where it will show up next :)

Linda said...

I am new to your blog - via In the Midst of It. Toni, I really was laughing out loud. You are such a gifted writer. I was right there with you although it has been many years since my kids were that age. I think there's something programmed into children that tells them it's okay to go nutty the minute Daddy is gone for any length of time. Ditto for household items and mechanical things. I know from personal experience that anything that was going to go wrong in the house waited until my husband drove down the road on a trip.
I think all you can do is laugh. I thoroughly enjoyed your post.

Sarah said...

I've only cried at a couple of posts--I mean in laughter--and this is one of them. I'm not sure which I like best, threatening a spanking at the top of your lungs for all the school-world to hear, or the vision of bare cheeks covered in floam.

Bless your little heart. ;)

Sorry to laugh at your grief, but darn it, Toni, this is just funny!

Barb said...

I'm speechless. Except to say I really, really hope Roy gets home soon. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are recording this. You need to be able to laugh at these moments.

When Eric was gone for five weeks, I began reading an adapted version of Oliver Twist to Caleb and then stopped, because I was beginning to bear too much of a resemblence to the evil orphanage director.