Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The me and the me I wanna be

After my last post, I've been at a bit of a loss. A couple of things have thrown me. First, it took every bit of a week for me to really recover my equilibrium from the Guatemala trip. Not that I did any mountain climbing there, but there were a lot of late nights and early mornings bookending emotionally exhausting days.

What seems also to have stalled me in my post-writing tracks are some of the seriously nice things people have written in the comments section. This is a paradox even to me, since I really love getting comments (it's not entirely about ego). Yet frequently when I write about God-y things in my life, people respond with the kind of accolades that make me wiggle a bit uncomfortably in my seat.

You know how the Apostle Paul was fond of calling himself the worst of sinners, etc? Well, even as I read that, I figure he had to be aware, at least on some level, that he was The Apostle Paul, aka God Actually Spoke to Me During a Road Trip; Author of Most of What-Would-Be The New Testament; Early Leader of A Little Movement We Like to Call Christianity.

I mean, come on. He knew he was the man.

So, to clarify, when I say I'm really not worthy of some of the praise thrown my way, I'm not saying this in a Paul kinda way. Nor am I suggesting I'm literally the worst of sinners. First of all, I'm not settled on whether or not there's a sin hierarchy. There's that whole a-sin-is-a-sin thing, which still perplexes me somewhat. While all sin separates us from God, I'd rather Roy lose his patience after a long day (a sin) than have him operate an international drug cartel from his garage office (a sin).

I just feel that, while I'm not selling pot to Girl Scouts or dressing up like a Dixie Chick for Halloween, I should state for the record that in some of my more personal, faith-oriented posts, I'm presenting the best of me. Not fake me, but certainly not the way I am all the time. I'm writing about the me I want to be when I grow up. The me God wants me to be. The me I tend to be in starts and fits.

I've clearly shared more about the starts and not so much the fits. For balance, I submit forthwith, a few of my shortcomings fit for public consumption:

Though I come from a fine tradition of Southern-style cooks, I really hate spending time in the kitchen. I do it because it's necessary. But the redundancy of mealtime, for me, is like standing on the shore and watching wave after wave after wave after wave after wave rushing up at me. (Paradoxically, I do love the fellowship that takes place over a meal and consequently enjoy having people over for dinner parties.) No doubt, because of my limited mealtime offerings, neither of my kids are great eaters, and Connor especially has culinary preferences ranging from A to A-and-a-half.

I also suffer from playtime elitism. I adore my children. I like going places with them (except restaurants). I like talking to them. I like walks and chasing them in circles around the house for the purpose of scaring them into muscle limpness. I like swimming and dancing with them and roughhousing a bit. But I really don't like kid board games or coloring. And there's only so much time I can tolerate being the horsy. Or roll playing as the customer in the world's most bizarre restaurant. A few minutes of that type of play and I'm disengaging, no matter how pathetically they implore.

And now Madeline and I have ventured into the lovely mother-daughter experience known as homework time, which involves crying jags (hers, not mine ... yet) and dialogue such as:

Me: Sound out the word, please, Madeline.
Madeline: But the teacher said I am supposed to read it to you.
Me: Yes, but you're just looking at the picture to know what the word is. I want you to sound it out for me.
Madeline (throwing her head back against the pillow, cupping her face in both hands and groaning): I am reading it.
Me (voice rising): Sound. It. Out. If you would obey me and have a better attitude, we'd already be done and this wouldn't be so painful.
Madeline: It is painful!

To which I could only silently agree. I have all the respect in the world for parents who do a good job of homeschooling. Clearly, though, when God looked down from the dawn of time, saw Madeline and devised plans to prosper her, they did not involve being homeschooled by her mother. Because when I get frustrated, I tend to react in a way that ratchets up the tension for everyone. And I don't care if you're five. I'm taking you down with me.

Here's another thing -- and I am being honest here -- ignorant people really irritate me. I know God loves them and I'm supposed to love them. When I ask God to help me be Jesus for anyone in need, I know that includes ignoramuses. But it is just so hard to to be Jesus to people who irritate the fire out of me. (And, yes, I'm being a bit on the dramatic side here, but this is obviously a real area of pridefulness in my life that isn't pleasing to God ... or me for that matter.)

I also find that after meaningful times of spiritual growth, I tend to almost immediately afterward behave poorly. I'm grumpy. I fall out of good habits. I start praying less. It's ridiculous. I'm sure God gets tired of it. I know I do.

God: If you'd just obey me and have a better attitude, this wouldn't have to be so painful.
Me: It is painful!

-30-

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, this is SO not a compliment, because I know you said that compliments make you a tad uneasy. However, IF a certain broad, I mean person, in a certain Texas, I mean Greek( Grecian? Greco?) town, was a reeeally good writer I would, being a properly-raised girl, COMPLIMENT HER. I would tell her that I'm so glad to know about her blog and that her writing never fails to touch me, tickle me, teach me. I would also thank her for her willingness to share her faith in a way that can either make me laugh (Jesus' sis, Beth Moore--THAT was funny!) or cry (just about every other post.) But, since this would embarrass you, I mean her, I WON'T SAY IT.

: ) But I can say nice to "meet" you.

Phyllis (a fellow rascally sinner)

Big Mama said...

I can tolerate all these shortcomings as long as you don't dress up like a Dixie Chick for Halloween.

That comment alone will make me laugh for days.

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness. I laughed so much I had to read the whole middle section out loud to my husband. Dixie Chick for Halloween, tee hee! drug cartel from garage office! Now I'm laughing again.

And yet the whole thing is chock full of wisdom, too. toniwrites, indeed. :)

Sarah said...

You know, thank you for your honesty in how difficult it is to love "ignorant people" (it may just be semantics, but ignorant people I can abide much better than stupid people). ME, TOO!! It has really become obvious to me as I see my 8 year old son struggle with the same thing. I lectured him on this earlier in the week saying, "Your intelligence is a gift God gave you that you have to use with responsibility. That includes being kind to people who didn't receive that gift." "Oh." was my reply to myself. I shall work on that.

Anonymous said...

I can really really relate to your last paragraph.
I identify strongly with being one of God's "difficult children" ~ although sometimes, now that I'm a parent, I have a lot of trouble understanding how God isn't like me, the oft-failing, crabby parent of the difficult child.

Melissa said...

Toni,

Thanks for being so brutally honest. I think it's something we all struggle with...we want so much to be what God wants us to be, and have such a difficult time getting there.

Really enjoyed this thought-provoking post.

Blessings, my friend.

boomama said...

I'll be Natalie if you'll be Emily. Maybe Big Mama would be the other one whose name escapes me. Big Mama, you know, had a REAL LIVE Dixie Chicks encounter at the pool this summer. Oh yes she did.

Love the real. Love it.

Tricia said...

Thanks for showing the real you...I can relate, oh so much! : )

the voice said...

The important thing is not that we are all flawed and imperfect, but that we recognize the flaws and imperfections, and strive to make them better. Great post! May God contnue to bless you and your family.
Ken

Kelli said...

Ok- so when are you coming to Montana? Cause I just want to sit up on the porch of the bunkhouse, in the trees, and talk. The menfolk can do whatever and kids can climb the trails.

Heck, bring Natalie and whats her name, too!

PEZmama said...

I can't say I relate to getting comments about the spiritual giant that I am, but on all other accounts, I can relate in every way. There is a disconnect between the me I am and the me I want to be. I hate it.

Thanks for being real. And for writing dwon my thoughts much better than I ever could.

Linda said...

When I began blogging a short while ago, the thing I wanted to do most of all was be real. You are so real in this post, and I love it. I identify and think all of those things perfectly normal. Thankfully this Christian life is a process, and our Teacher is infinitely patient.

Sarah said...

You know, Toni, I have to say that I never thought you weren't being real in your other posts--you always seem to be pretty transparent in your writing, which is what makes it so good: it's thought-provoking and authentic at the same time. Besides, nobody wants to be friends with somebody perfect; it just makes the rest of us look bad:)

Candyland? Hate it.

L's Lair said...

Woman! You.Crack.Me.Upppp. You have a true gift for being able to share important nuggets of simple truth WHILE making me giggle the whole time. Thanks. ;-)

Your beauty IS in your realness.

-Lori Bell Guthrie
(p.s. - I'll pray that Roy will feel serious conviction & cease and desist this whole drug cartel in your garage. Oh. What? You were just kidding? My bad. Please disregard. I misunderstood.)

Addie said...

Great post Toni! I have to agree with Sarah, that I never saw you as someone who had it all together. I'm not sure I would be able to like you as much! ;-) And now that I know you are a heathen that might dress up as a dixie chick ... well!

And I'm pretty sure you have transcribed an exact conversation between me and my daughter from the other night. I'm pretty sure it won't be long before I have a crying jag myself.

Girl Raised in the South said...

As always I loved reading your post, because you ARENT perfect. Youre just real, and thats a gift to any of us who read you. Me, I especially hate it when IM the ignorant person...

Tammy said...

I loved, loved, loved this post!

You have such a gift for being real...and for writing about it!
(I'm a wannabe writer, and I'm always simply amazed whenever I read your stuff!)

I also wanted to say that I could so relate to what you were saying. I feel much the same way whenever I write about something spiritual. And I feel that I fall so short in my everyday life.

But still, God used you in a very special way on that mission trip...and yes, in spite of all your flaws, He uses you everyday.

Anyway...funny, real, thought-provoking post, Toni. And isn't it great that God is much more patient with us than we are with our own kids? I know I am thankful!

Barb said...

I've never thought you were anything but real, Toni. I love the way you express yourself. You've always seemed down-to-earth and authentic to me.

And any mom who says she loves hungry hungry hippos and barbie coloring books is...well, I won't say LYING THROUGH HER TEETH, but you know.

Grafted Branch said...

I can SO relate to the whole reading moment with your girl. The irony is, of course, that the cure for impatience -- for her and you -- is homeschooling! lol!

Shawna said...

How hilarious that you compared selling pot to Girl Scouts to dressing up like a Dixie Chick for Halloween! I, too, have had concerns about not presenting the real me when writing faith posts, so I sometimes counter it with posts showing the ugly side of me, so that people will know that I am real and have faults, but then I worry that I am out of balance, which of course then shows the real me, because I am, in fact, out of balance!

Anonymous said...

I hope this is a safe place to admit this. I. Hate. Chutes. and. Ladders. And Candyland too. Hate them. Hate them. Hate them.

These are currently Caleb's favorite games. But if he loses he's an emotional wreck at which point he hates them as well (though he is improving on this). Lucky for me, he has begun to pretend that I play with him.

Nancy Murphree Davis said...

Your comments about your daughter and her homework sound just like me and mine this week.

Me: "What do you see in that picture?"

Daughter: "...an empty ice cube tray"

Me: "Look closely. Is it empty?"

D: "Yes."

Me: "I don't think it is empty; look at this little line in each compartment."

D: "Why does it make a difference if it has something in it?"

Me: "You are studying matter. An empty tray has nothing to do with solids, liquids and gases."

D: (getting off the school and running out of the kitchen) "You are making it too hard."

Also, I feel the same way in my bible study posts...like I'm a goody goody. Obviously, I'm not perfect and I just want to share truths I've realized and am still trying to apply to my life.