Wednesday, June 07, 2006

What the Dixie Chicks say about Grace

I’ve been listening quite a bit lately to the Dixie Chicks. Don’t know where the blogging community I’m becoming a part of (mostly female, Christian moms willing to embarrass themselves for a laugh) stands on the issue of the Chicks. If you’ll recall, they polarized the country for a time in 2003 when the lead singer commented during a concert in London that she was ashamed George Bush is from Texas.

Look, it’s certainly not classy during a time of war to insult the president in front of thousands of people – particularly on foreign soil. But the resulting fallout was rather extraordinary and, to my mind, ridiculous. In addition to their radio play plummeting, they were cursed, threatened and harassed. Essentially, they became pariahs.

Was it because they disagreed with the president on the issue of Iraq? Personally, I believe George Bush is a man of character. I like him. I interviewed him a couple of times as a young reporter and, later, enjoyed running into him from time to time at the capitol (think governor, not president).

Politically, I’ve got issues with several of his policies. I was particularly not a fan of several first-term cabinet members. For a while there, though, I felt I could hardly disagree with an item on his agenda without being labeled “un-Christian.” Strange times.

Was the backlash because the Chicks spoke out against the president on foreign soil? That probably had a good bit to do with it, but I suspect the brouhaha would’ve been just as bad if they’d been in the States. Heck, anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon line would have been considered “foreign soil” anyway.

Was it the fact that they’re country singers? I think this is mostly it. Country singers can embrace drinkin’, cheatin’, stealin’ and beatin’ – but left-leaning politics are strictly verboten.

So, I was sayin’ (about a hundred years ago) I’ve been listening to their new album. It’s very good. Musically it’s excellent. Lyrically, it’s raw and revelatory. Many of the songs address the fiasco and the fallout of the incident. What I’ve learned from listening is they lost friends, got very angry, received death threats, refuse to apologize and are hated in their hometowns.

What really bothers me is a song called “Lubbock or Leave It” where, I think, Natalie Maines is from. Here are a few of the lyrics:

Throwing stones from the top of your rock
Thinking no one can see
The secrets you hide behind
Your southern hospitality …

Temptation's strong
(Salvation's gone)
I'm on my way
To hell's half acre
How will I ever
How will I ever
Get to heaven now


This song exemplifies – once again – the perfectly lovely tradition of people who either are or just call themselves Christians throwing stones at those they disagree with in some bizarre attempt to get them to change or apologize.

Bam! Be more like me. Slam! Think differently. Whack! Jesus loves you.

Why would anyone who’s attacked by The Church want to join the church? The question they pose is valid: How will they get to heaven? Not by following that example.

-30-

8 comments:

boomama said...

It's crazy how much you and I think alike. I wrote about the Chicks' CD about a month or so ago...and I remember saying in my comments that if they had made the remark about Clinton, a lot of people probably would have praised them.

ANYHOO, I love what you say at the end of this post...it's a shame how little room we Christians leave for grace sometimes, isn't it? I may have to email you about this one, lest I hijack your comments from my perch on my soapbox. :-)

Sarah said...

Amen! Our reputation for being exceedingly judgmental has driven more people away from Christ than just about anything else, I think. It's too bad all of this has turned into such a huge fiasco.

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Hey, they're entitled to their opinion just like I'm entitled to mine. They just have a larger (!) audience and the benefit of their celebrity status behind their opinions. I think people over-reacted and the issue's a dead horse some people are still getting their jollies from beating on it.

Concerning the grace issue, there's a fine line between hating the sin while still loving the sinner, and many people haven't matured in that area of their Christian walk.

Addie said...

This same attitude came up a few months ago when the movie End of Spear came out. Several Christian groups got all up in arms, that one of the lead actors was gay. (oh, the horror. said with mock indignation.)

Sadly, a potentially positive situation was hit by those stones you referred to!

The squeaky wheel christians are unfortunately very loud!

Anonymous said...

Being a Christian member of a church much malinged (LDS) as not Christian - I have to applaud your last paragraph.

Christ unites us all and we should embrace others into that unity!

Love ya!!!

Girl Raised in the South said...

Ive tried 3 x to leave a comment but blogger isnt cooperating today. I want to thank you for the insightful post -food for thought. Made me stop and think about how easily we judge others but how awful it feels when others do so to us. Great reminder.

Leslie said...

Personally, their political views would not keep me from listening to their music.

But at about the time their latest album came out I was reading an article about Dolly Parton. Love Dolly! Dolly admits she has political convictions but also honestly admits that to air them would possibly alienate part of her fan base. So she keeps them to herself.

Dolly also does a tremendous amount of good. She basically provides jobs through her Dollyworld. And she gives a tremendous amount to charity. If we criticize the Dixie Chicks lets critize the fact that they have squandered their position. What good has been brought about by their remarks in the UK?

But of course we all have a "position" so before we ask them, we should ask if we are making the most of our own. If the Dixie Chicks (and anybody else for that matter) really want to use their platform as a means to change the world, they could learn from Dolly.

But as Christians we should both shine light and identify the darkness. We spend too much time on the latter. We would be better served if we spent more time emphasizing the light within others--those things that others do that align with Christ.

Kim said...

Okay, so I love the Dixie Chicks. My 4 year old son could listen to them for hours. He loves to listen to Wide Open Spaces on repeat, as long as you will let him. I’ve continued to support the Dixie Chicks (haven’t been able to get the new album - really like what I’ve heard so far).

I’m in agreement with Leslie when it comes to using their position. I think they (Natalie) could take a lesson from Bono (National Prayer Breakfast). He has done a fantastic job of communicating his heart and then doing something about it. I caught the Chicks on Larry King and have to say Natalie put me off a little bit. I find that I’m in agreement with a lot of what they have to say but, if you open up this kind of bag of worms you have to be willing to move the conversation toward solution rather than continuing to throw accusations.

I’ve got to say, I appreciate their commitment to their thoughts and beliefs and I love that it’s coming from three moms.