Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Those whacky Clays

First off, thanks for all the toe support following my last post. It's nice to know so many of you also have freak toes. I don't feel so alone anymore.

However, I was asked, "Who has pretty feet, anyway?" So let me clear that up right now. Erin Humphries does. I like to call her, "My Friend Erin-With-Four-Kids." Actually, I like to call her a few other things, too. But I'm pretty sure she'd get angry with me if I shared them here. Anywho, Erin has beautiful feet. Really. They're smooth and elegant and, well, pretty. It's totally annoying. When I start to covet her feet, I remind myself she has twice the responsibility I do for keeping human beings alive. In light of that fact, she can keep the pretty feet.

~~~

I've been trying to come up with a few things that make my family unique. I can think of plenty of things that make us special and perhaps even enviable, not to mention bizarre and annoying. But unique. Well, now, that's a bit more difficult.

So the first thing that comes to mind is our wheels. There's the fairly standard Toyota. It's old but runs well. Then there's my husband's baby: a faded green 1970 International Scout, complete with customized roll bar. It's a Man Magnet. Come to think of it, it's a magnet for the curious everywhere. On the occasions I drive it, I'm very careful not to pick my nose at red lights. Not that I do that, of course.

What really puts us over the top in the unique category is our 1996 Dodge Caravan Sport minivan. How can a minivan have the word "Sport" in its name, you ask? Well, ye shall know it is Sport by its racing stripes. A minivan with racing stripes, y'all. !

My husband bought it from a friend for $100. It had been sitting for about a year. One new transmission and a good cleaning later and that baby runs like, well, like a 10-year-old minivan with a perpetually squeaky belt. But it seats eight, so I'm not complaining. Occasionally I pick up My Friend Erin-With-Four-Kids' kids.

Another thing that makes us unique is the frequency we partake of breakfast suppers. My mom -- a super Southern-style cook -- used to occasionally offer breakfast meals, which I always thought was awesome. Never mind that the woman can have all the major food groups represented on the table AND everything still be warm. Nah, scramble up some eggs and call me Fred. That's what I'm talkin' about.

When it comes to breakfast suppers, I subscribe to the Mae West philosophy. She said too much of a good thing is wonderful. So it's pretty common in Casa del Clay for me to whip out the pink carton of eggs, a can of biscuits and announce: Breakfast supper! So common, in fact, my 5-year-old daughter is now capable (with supervision) of preparing her own eggs from start to finish.


Another thing that's become standard around our house is a strange array of across-the-street parkers. When we bought our house, the view out our front door was of woods. Those trees have since been cleared, with a few picnic tables scattered around the lot. I never see anyone using the tables, but people like to park along the road there and do ... I don't know what. I'm afraid to know what.

A few days ago, this was the vehicle parked across from our house.









Excuse me, but why does someone driving a hearse need to pull over and rest? It seems to me that if ANY vehicle should drive from Point A to Point B without stopping, it's a hearse. And an ambulance. Definitely an ambulance.

Lastly, and I know I'm probably riding the poopy train too far, given the Connor Clay and the Disastrous Poopy post, but this is, after all, about what makes us unique. So it would be dishonest to not include the fact that my son now insists on sitting backward on the potty.

Of course.

I asked him why, Why, WHY must he sit backwards? He explained quite calmly, "Connors like to sit this way."

Oh. Well, then.



-30-

9 comments:

Leslie said...

I have a friend that taught her son to sit that way because it greatly improves their aim.

Caleb never would do it.

Count yourself lucky.

Someone may be teaching him on the sly--check grandparents.

Girl Raised in the South said...

My brother (and just saying that should explain it) owned a hearse. He had many offers to buy it and one man that just would not let up. Finally asked what he'd have to pay to buy it. To drive. All the time. I just get creeped out thinking of putting groceries in the back of a hearse. But then, it was a man.

Toni said...

Leslie,
Connor only sits backwards to do "number 2." And he doesn't always position his little hiney in exactly the right spot. Yes, eww! For the purposes of tee-teeing, he insists on standing -- preferably three feet away from the potty while wiggling his hips. This last little quirk is exactly why I told him he is WELCOME to tee-tee in the back yard on a tree.

Toni said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Diane@Diane's Place said...

Sorry, Toni, so far you haven't posted anything that would make you unusual here in Arkansas where I live. Or in my family in particular. :-)

When I was a kid, my girlfriend's little brother would only poop on newspaper in the floor....And yes, their commode (toilet to you non-Southerners) was perfectly functional.

Another friend's Dad bought a used ambulance at an auction and drove it for years. Once the accellerator stuck on it, at 80 miles an hour. They lived on a gravel road and he passed up their driveway 3 times, cutting donuts in a cotton field each time he missed the drive, before he finally turned off the key in the ignition to get it stopped in their yard. He dug ruts 10 inches deep in their front yard before he got stopped. His daughter thought he was just goofing off, like usual. Just think of all the possibilities with an ambulance. It's almost as good as a hearse, LOL. ;-)

Toni said...

Diane,
That ambulance story is the funnieset thing I've read in a long time. Just picturing that man screaming up and down the road make me laugh. And his family watching? Priceless.

Simple Kim said...

Well, it seems to me that you have one lonely seat left over in your minivan. Lucky for you I have a solution. With you and your kids and Erin-with-four-kids' kids you have one spot for either of my kids! It would really look sport with my other kid strapped to the top! Isn't it great to have such helpful friends like me?

boomama said...

That van? With the racing stripes? Hysterical. And you've reminded me of one time when I was with my friend Gena and she had car trouble and we ended up having to ride in a hearse...and that was after we saw a one-legged dog. Southern gothic at its finest. :-)

Alec said...

Your sons peepee is going to taste really yummy and I really love licking little boys gooey and yummy pubescent penis heads and sucking on them especially after they go pee I would’ve definitely loved to suck on your sons smooth little boy penis and suck the cum right out of his piss hole while I am fingering his bum