Thursday, June 15, 2006

It's just my 'after-baby' weight. No. Three years is not unusual

I've been going to the swimming pool with the kids fairly regularly the last couple of weeks. We haven't had an outdoor city pool in Athens for years and years now -- unless you count the wading pools at Kiwanis Park, where, by noon, the water-to-urine ratio is tilting dangerously.

Without a city pool, the kids and I have contented ourselves for several summers with one of those hard-plastic numbers in the back yard accompanied by a fanning sprinkler that doubles as a force field.

But then several of my friends joined the country club in the past year. And I must say, it's not what you know; it's so who you know. Given that I don't play golf or tennis or care particularly to eat regularly in the country club restaurant (though the food is perfectly delightful), it doesn't make sense to join just to be able to use the pool.

But mooching as guests off my friends who are members? Heeeeck, yeah. The kids love it, and I've actually gotten enough sun to look, you know, alive. (I'm one of those people who occasionally gets complimented on my "porcelain" complexion -- which translates "pasty white.")

There is a drawback, however. Apparently, there's an unofficial "beautiful people" day at the pool. I accidentally went to the pool this week on Beautiful People Day. I don't fit into this category. I never did, and if I had, it was at least two children and 200 varicose veins ago.

So I love going to the pool, but I would love it a lot more if perfectly tanned, flat-stomached, no-need-for-padding-here types would, you know, not go. Or at least post a Beautiful People Days schedule.

-30-

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm feeling your pain--I was stupid enough, only 5 weeks after giving birth to #3, to take a picture of myself in a bikini. For inspiration, you know. Now I just want to throw up. I won't be at your pool on Beautiful People Day. Not a chance! (And by the way, have you gotten a chance to talk to Leslie? I'm missing her!! Blogging is great, but voice to voice is way better!!)

boomama said...

Yes, I'm also holding steady at my post-baby weight, and no, three years is NOT unusual (she says, indignantly). :-) And don't get me started on The Beautiful People...good for them and all, but those girls who look great in bikinis after giving birth to multiple children have obviously made a pact with the devil. And yes, Kelly Ripa, I'm talking about YOU. :-)

Diane@Diane's Place said...

I didn't look even non-horrifying in a bikini before I had my daughter, much less after. As I have said on my blog, you may have heard of pleasingly plump? Well, I am rudely fat. 'Nuff said? LOL ;-)
What say we all have a Real People swim day? I'd be game for it. :-)

Girl Raised in the South said...

pasty white - yep thats me too. and i already know we have similar lanky toes - maybe we're twins separated at birth, 20 years apart? in the winter the porcelain looks great, in the summer just plain old w.h.i.t.e.