Monday, August 14, 2006

From fourth grade to Beaver's Bend

My earliest memory of Janet is on a basketball court. We were both in elementary school, but attended different campuses. (South, West, Bel Air's the best!) We ended up playing Little Dribblers together. She was tall like me. But, unlike me, she was good at the game. She already knew about bouncing the ball. Janet's dad was our coach. I don't remember much about that time, except her dad was nice, and Janet dominated the court.

I probably wouldn't remember that short season at all were it not for the fact that a year or two later, in fourth grade, Janet would re-enter my life in a significant way. During the in-between time, her family had moved away, her nice dad had died, and she had moved back to Athens. Our teacher told us Janet would be joining our class. We should be nice to her.

It was never any trouble being nice to Janet. I remember saying hello to her when she returned. She tells me I reminded her then of Tigger. I think she's referring to Tigger's hyperactive bounciness. It wasn't until our freshman year in high school that Janet became "JT" to me, a kindred spirit. A sister.

The same fourth-grade year that Janet joined our merry gang (we were a so-called gifted class and wasted no time dubbing ourselves the "The Nerd Herd"), I also got to know Joye. Joye was one of those girls. You know the type: Pretty. Kind. Sparkling smile. Blond. Did I mention kind? Yeah, that's the part that really gets you. You can't even dislike her for all the other stuff, like being pretty and blond and sparkly.

Oh, and she was also really smart. I mean really. She was reading Dostoevsky and Tolstoy in junior high. And didn't even tell anyone. Who, who reads Dostoevsky without telling people? Seriously, if I ever get to the end of "Crime and Punishment," I'm sending out embossed announcements.

So around about high school, I figured out Joye was a keeper. A life friend. A sister.

At different times, Joye and Janet and I roomed together in college. We got married, had kids. Traveled. Got jobs. Had more kids. Quit jobs. And the whole time I've tried to hang on to both of them. It hasn't always been easy. We've lived in different states, and I'm not a good phone caller or frequent flyer. Somehow, though, we managed to keep the connection. There's nothing -- nothing -- in the world like girlfriends. I figured that one out even as a naive teen. I know myself well enough to be aware I don't collect good friends easily. It takes years. Decades even. And the older I get, the slower I am. So when it happens, I don't let go.

An amazing thing happened, too. The men we picked to marry? Well, they like each other. A lot. And our kids like each other too. So a few summers ago, Joye and Matt and Roy and I got to talking and decided we'd get together for a long weekend in a cabin near Beaver's Bend, Oklahoma. It was fun. I mean staying-up-late, stupid-laughing fun. So we did it again. More fun! And this year, since Janet and Wade decided it was time to return to this part of the country, they were able to join us.

So two weekends ago, there we were: in a huge cabin, overlooking beautiful land: Roy & Toni & Madeline & Connor; Matt & Joye & Emily & Claire & Garrett (and Emily's friend Gabby); and Wade & Janet & Austin & Jackson & Anna Grace.



Sounds like a bit of a madhouse, doesn't it? It was. A really loud, busy, incredibly delightful madhouse. And when we finally got all the kids to bed at night, we stayed up talking and playing games and drinking wine and eating well and laughing and laughing and laughing. I'm positive that type of thing pleases God. It's no accident so many of the Jesus narratives take place while he's at a festival or a dinner guest at someone's house. We're wired for fellowship. It feeds our souls.

Our last full day, we rented a pontoon boat and motored out into the crystalline water under a perfectly blue sky. Eventually, we killed the motor and floated to an undulating almost-stop. The desire to jump in was so great I didn't bother fighting it. I swam back and pulled in Austin. Then almost everyone else, acting in a singular motion, flung themselves up and out. Screaming, splashing, laughing.

That time was pure joy. The children were thrilled and we adult-types no less so. It was beautiful, and we held onto it until finally, a few hours later, rain pushed us to shore.

I think about how different things could be, if one of us -- Joye or Janet or I -- had let go of the other. I think about what we could have missed. But we didn't. We held on. And we make life beautiful for each other.

-30-

JT's in the center; Joye's on the right. She's not blond anymore, but she's still sparkly.

14 comments:

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Good Gracious, that sounds like so much fun! I have a few best-friends-for-life. Even when it's been months or at times even years since we've seen each other, when we get together we pick up like we've never been apart. Absolutely nothing can take the place of genuine friends. Love the pics, they're so full of life. ;-)

Girl Raised in the South said...

I have to wonder if the two little girls at the front of the photo are sisters or the next generation of friends. Sweet either way. You are blessed in having these friendships, and even more in knowing how blessed you are. xoxoxo

Toni said...

Bev, the two girls holding hands are Madeline (mine) in the orange and Joye's daughter Claire in the daisy dress. In the pink hat and shirt on the left is Janet's daughter, Anna Grace. They are the next generation of friends, indeed.

boomama said...

LOVE THIS POST.

If I could pass along any wisdom to the generation below me - aside from the importance of a deep and abiding faith - it would be the importance of fighting for your relationships, holding tight to friends - because life happens, and you will need them. They will need you, too.

If I could've been a fly on the wall in that cabin...sounds like joy did in fact abound. :-)

Barb said...

I love this, Toni. I love that you all make the effort to stay connected and it will automatically pass down to all your kids. Special, special friends. The photos just enhance the whole experience.

Sarah said...

There's so much I want to say that I could write my own post! I might, in fact:)

First, your description of your friends-of-old gave me goosebumps and longings for my two longtime friends, who are now married to brothers. Some friendships are worth hanging onto, regardless of time or distance. Thank God for those!

Second, your phrase, "rain pushed us to shore" is beautiful writing. In fact, your blog is one of my supreme favorites because the words roll off my heart, and I LOVE great writing.

You, Toni, are a great writer. I mean it. And I've read enough to know it when I see it.

p.s. You called ME "Sarah the Fair?" I LOVE that!

Leslie said...

How Fun! Joye looks like she had children when she was six. She still (well, you all do) looks just like she did in college, but then there is the teenager in the background!

What fun! I miss Texas.

T said...

What a great post! It is nice to read something that is so edifying, so positive. You are so right when you said God wired us for fellowship. There is nothing that can refresh and regenerate you like being with wonderful friends. My prayer is that eveyone could have at least one friend like this...you are blessed to have three!

Keep up the great writing. I found your blog via another persons (can't remember who now) and bookmarked it right away.

Big Mama said...

Toni, this is just a beautifully written, joyful post. It makes me thankful that I have friends like this in my life because they're the kind that know you, really know you and love you no matter what.

Melissa said...

Toni,

Thanks for sharing that. I recently wrote a post about soul sisters myself...aren't they a great gift?

Love your blog!

Tammy said...

Wow...I just love this post.

Your writing is beautiful and it pulled into the story and along for the ride.

Yes, friendship...the real, lasting kind, is a rare jewel sometimes takes effort over the years, but can be so worth it.

Thank you for sharing the story of your friends!

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Hi-
Hopped over from BooMama's...
That is a heartwarming translation of real friendship. I am glad I was able to read it!

Anonymous said...

I'm so thankful my former Athens Review co-worker told me about your blog. As Joye's mom, I've watched you girls grow from cute little darlings in elementary to the wonderful and beautiful (inside & out) young women who are blessings to not only your families, but to your churches and the community at large. As soon as I get over this big lump in my throat & wipe the tears from my eyes, I'm going to thank God for each of you and pray He continues to be the center of your lives. Toni, thanks for sharing your gift as a "wordsmith"! And bless the friendship you all share!

Anonymous said...

Hi again Toni! I haven't commented in a while. This was a moving entry. You are so blessed to have lived the fantasy that all little girls share with each other. I remember having said myself, "One day we'll be older and married and we'll have houses right next to each other and we'll have bbqs and our kids will be best friends and our husbands will be best friends and we'll be best friends forever and ever." Amen.