Saturday, August 19, 2006

A broad in Guatemala

It usually takes me a week or so to feel prepared to write a post. Those of you who on a daily or nearly daily basis offer up funny, pithy, witty or thoughtful musings amaze me. I'm not creative enough, or prolific enough or -- I should just face it -- disciplined enough to do that ... unless you want to hear what my kids say every day.

Or I could start posting parenting advice. Here's what I told a friend yesterday. She was upset with herself because she had had such a difficult time with her children the night before, she ended up telling them to "go to bed now!" Then told the youngest, very firmly, to brush. his. teeth. Now.

He ended up in tears, telling her he was "afraid" of her, afraid she was going to scream at him. My friend was guilt-ridden.

So I counseled her that she needed to begin yelling at her children on a regular basis. That way, it would no longer be a traumatic experience for them when yelling commenced. Problem solved.

Next?

So perhaps you begin to grasp how I need to carefully screen my ideas before posting. This post, however, shall be an exception. It's a Hail Mary pass.

I'm leaving for Guatemala in a few hours. I'll be spending most of the week in Antigua at a teenaged girls orphanage -- Manchin. There will also be visits to a small children's orphanage and a boy's orphanage.

I spent a week at Manchin in January. It was a spiritual-high experience. But this time I feel totally unprepared. Because I am. I've asked God to forgive me for my lack of discipline in preparing. I'm asking him to use me anyway, and he's proven time and again he's capable of doing amazing things with my sorry butt. (Slimming would not be one of them, unfortunately.)

I would covet the prayers of any of you so inclined. I am praying those of us on the trip will be smack-dab in the center of God's will for these children and anyone else we encounter. You know: whoever the One is. They are the disenfranchised. The forgotten. The cast off. They are hungry for love. I want to give them my love. But I can't stay with them, and my love is not sufficient anyway. God's love is sufficient. That's what I want them to grasp. Please pray for that.

I'll post when I get back -- probably next Sunday. So many of you have become so precious to me. Thank you for that blessing.

-30-

11 comments:

Big Mama said...

Toni, I just recently found your blog and love it. I'll definitely keep you in my prayers this week. Remember, in our weakness He is strong...cause you know, He's God.

Barb said...

Can't believe you think you're not creative, Toni. I get excited when bloglines shows me a new post from you.

Your advice to your friend was spot on. Keep up a steady barrage of screaming and they'll stop being afraid of you and just completely ignore you. Trust me. I do know that for sure. :-)

I'll say a little prayer for a safe and productive trip. It's a wonderful thing you're doing.

Kelli said...

Do you know I cherish you because you are so ... well ... "broad-like"? Straight to the point, pithy and pragmatic? Oh, and I covet your bedroom wall color. But, that's another story.

We're praying for you- of course. And, for all the munchins in Manchin. What a privilege you have going there.

Hugs!

Leslie said...

Toni,
I am looking forward to reading about your trip. I'll pray for you as well. WOW! Are you ever at home? Visiting your brother? Oklahoma, now Guatamala! You are abroad quite often.

Brenda said...

I love your posts and look forward to reading about your trip. I'll be praying!

Robin said...

Will be praying. And I think you should consider writing parenting advice. THAT was greatness.

Sarah said...

I'm with Robin--good parenting advice;) (Well, it would work, anyway!!)

Have a safe trip--I can't wait to hear from you when you get back!!

Melissa said...

Toni,

Praying for you! Can't wait to hear how God shows up!

Tammy said...

Toni,
sorry I'm reading and replying a little late...(it's Tuesday) but I just prayed for all the children you encounter, that they will see Jesus through you.
I can't wait to hear how everything went! God bless!

Girl Raised in the South said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Girl Raised in the South said...

Toni, no doubt you'll come back with more than you leave behind in Guatamale, and what you leave behind will be much! I've always thought God likely gave me children because He was in the process of growing me up.