Sunday, July 23, 2006

Rise up early and lay down late

I've been back a couple of days from Georgia, where the familia spent a week (sans Internet access) mostly chillin' with my very dear friend and mother-in-law, Sandra. She lives in a sprawling old house in the town of Ailey (pop. 623), which is down the road a spell from Vidalia -- home of the sweet onions. Roy and I spent Wednesday night away from the kids in Savannah at the lovely bed and breakfast to which we always return. It's a beautiful, eccentric city.

I've got a few stories to share from the trip. A couple of pictures to post. But darned if I didn't just visit Boomama's blog and sit here at my computer trying hard not to cry. Her dear friend's husband died suddenly. The post is beautiful, a tribute to a marriage that was apparently what God designed marriage to be.

There's a lot of dying going on, and I don't mean mostly among people I don't know. There always is -- dying gone on. But I'm either more aware of it these days or -- and this is what my friend Erin would say -- I'm more connected. And the more connected we are, well, the more hurting people we encounter: mourning people, damaged people, lost people, people in need.

We're supposed to love on 'em. That's the Message. LOVE on people.

Look, it doesn't come that easy to me. My awesome mom clearly has the gift of hospitality. She'll do just about anything for anyone -- and feed their family while she's at it. She keeps an open spot at the table; she speaks words of wisdom ... and listens.

My husband, now he has the gift of mercy. He feels people's pain, and that's not a backhanded Bill Clinton reference. He does. The first time Roy spent a week at a Russian orphanage, I worried for a while, just a little, that I lost a bit of him to that place. He was so heartbroken when he returned.

I'm not so much that way, really. Oh, it's certainly in me to be hospitable. To be merciful. But they're not my gifts. My gift is reading through great stretches of inky night to the music of frogs and crickets. My gift is disengaging from marathon talkers who don't respond accordingly to very clear body language. My gift (and shame) is being able to tune out a little boy clinging to my leg demanding I make Madeline give him the plastic fish while I write an email.

You won't find any of these gifts in the New Testament. I think Paul probably ran out of room as he compiled the list. Papyrus was limited in prison. He probably also intended to include the gift of sarcasm. (Which I've obviously passed on to my five-year-old daughter, as tonight, when I told her rather abruptly to "find the soap; you're the one in the bathtub!" responded, "Yes. Boss me around. I love it.")

So, to recap: I'm a book-nerd, me-time lovin', slightly narcissistic wise a--.

So it's a mystery why the Lord keeps leading me to engage with people desperately needing to be loved -- as they heal, or, sometimes, as they die.

Man, it can be hard. Hard when I don't know what to say or how to say it. I've come to realize that's no excuse. Being afraid is no excuse. Being unprepared is no excuse. Being tired won't even wash that often. (What mom isn't always tired?)

One morning a while back I prayed God would help me die to myself that day and live as Christ. (I'm finally getting what Paul meant.) That, if needed, I would be Jesus' mouth, his legs, his arms for whoever needed them.

Well, it was a whopper of a day. I was peripherally involved in a crisis situation that arose among a family we care for. That and a few other factors took pretty much all of my energy. That evening I looked back with a mental "whew!" and looked forward to bed.

Then the phone rang. Another friend needed me. Needed Christ through me.

Did I mention it was a long day? That I was tired? That I'm a bit, ah, selfish? Then I remembered my prayer that morning and it hit me fiercely if I'm going to live for Christ, it's not always or often going to be on my terms, during my free time, when I'm feeling refreshed and ready to go. I'm just supposed to respond, or try to, when I'm needed.

So, like Boomama, we might find ourselves watching a best friend kiss her husband goodbye. We might place a friend's head in our lap while he cries over the cancer that's killing him. In between those awful and awesome times, we might do a thousand other things that don't register with the world.

We might rise up early and lay down late so we can be Christ's mouth, his legs, his arms.

Praise God. What a blessing.

-30-

13 comments:

Sarah said...

Well, darn it if I wasn't about to happily hop in bed, then I read your post and am now standing here, trying not to cry myself. You just nailed it on the head what our human condition is, and how that clashes with our call as Christians. I think my flesh and the Spirit fight way too much. Hopefully, the Spirit wins more often than not.

I'll remember this one for a long time, Toni. Your transparency is definitely a God-given gift, whether it's in Paul's list, or not:)

(And by the way, if LifeWay wants someone to write for them, stick your hand up in the air! You have a gift.)

Leslie said...

Toni,
Thank you so much for these words. I know God has placed you in some difficult situations, but I also know he picked the right people. You and Roy are warm, accepting, and like Sarah said beautifully transparant.

Melissa said...

We've never met...so how do you know me so well? I could swear you were describing me...I get too caught up in myself, too. My new prayer is for God to "SAVE ME FROM MYSELF!"

Welcome back. I missed reading your blog.

Melissa @ Breath of Life

Addie said...

Selfish? What does this word mean? ;-)

It is such a blessing when we do lay down our selfishness, and allow God to use us in the lives of others. It is also exhausting and heartbreaking. YET still a blessing! Thanks for stating for us again what our calling is.

Anonymous said...

Toni, Boy, did God have a plan for you when you decided to become a "Stay-At-Home" mom! He has continued to fill your days with so many opportunities! When I think of you, I think of discernment, wisdom, and also hospitality. Discernment - You see past all of the unnecessary fluff and stuff and go straight to the heart of things. You have the widsom to see situations for what they truly are and also the talent to write creatively about them. Hospitality means making others feel warm and welcomed and you do it well! To me, it also means being available to listen, to help, to be open to do whatever it takes at the moment to make someone know that they are cared for. Thank you for allowing God to use you in the lives of others. Obviously, he is answering your prayers!

Girl Raised in the South said...

Awesome post. What a way you have of putting just what I need to hear. I love visiting you - church without dressing up.

Barb said...

Beautifully said, as always, Toni. You always make me sit down a moment and think.

Anonymous said...

Toni,this post almost brought tears to my eyes. This is the second time in the past week (the first was in real life) where I've heard of praying for God to use them to make a difference in someone's life that day and where God allowed a divine appointment to take place. Thank you for sharing your story to encourage those of us who read your blog.

boomama said...

Good grief I needed to read that (says the girl who's still in her pajamas from the night before).

And how in the world did you come up with the phrase "inky night"? I wish I'd thought of that.... :-)

Tammy said...

All I can say is...beautiful. This so rang true and I could relate to it quite a bit.
(I caught that phrase inky night, too- I was impressed!) ;)
Honestly, this was beautiful.
If you get a chance, come over to my site and scroll down to "Reluctant Instrument"...you'll see why I can relate.

Blessings!
~Tammy

Judith said...

I just read what you wrote about our needing to be God's arms, legs, ears? and need to thank you for reminding me life is about much more than only what's going on with me. Thanks. Judith

Girl Raised in the South said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.