Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The Graduate

My daughter graduated last week. No, not from high school. That would make me 16 when I had her. Uhm, I mean 10. Yeah, 10.

Heck, it wasn't even Kindergarten graduation, where adorable six-year-olds act out literary classics like "Little Bunny Foo-Foo" before walking across the stage to receive sheets of rolled-up printer paper.

No, she graduated from Angel Keepers Pre-K (where she and her brother have been going twice a week for some time now).

I know most moms -- heck, every other mom I know -- say these things are not boring for mothers. Yes. Well. Some mothers also spend hours scrapbooking events such as The First Time Johnny Ate All His French-Cut Greenbeans. Some mothers make mock museums in their living rooms in preparation for a visit to a real one. Some mothers regularly cook healthy meals for their family. What is WRONG with these women? (I'm not looking so good now, am I?)

OK, so I wasn't actually bored at the program. But I wasn't riveted every minute. What I was hoping for was The Moment. The moment when one of my children (Connor is 3 and his part in the program involved intensive sulking and slumping during song time) did something that imprinted itself permanently on my gray matter.

Well, it happened. Madeline and her fellow Angel Keepers Class of '06ers lined up at the back of the sanctuary, waiting as their names were called one-by-one to walk on stage and receive their "diplomas" and a Bible.

I had a prime spot, thank goodness, to watch as her excitement grew. She knew I was there. I could tell it pleased her, but she didn't watch me much. She watched the woman on stage. She delighted in the anticipation. When her name was called -- Madeline Clay -- her face transformed in a way I find hard to describe. She lit up from the inside. She threw her hands to her face with the joy of it. She made an almost-squeal sound no adult can approximate. Then she looked at me for just a moment before bouncing up the aisle.

Oh, the joy of being a mom at that moment. Of being her mom. Madeline Clay's mom: the girl who knew all her lines without prompting. The girl who knew almost every other child's lines. The girl who stood up during one song and bounced because she couldn't contain herself.

I pray out loud over my children every night, and almost always I tell the Lord, "Thank you for making me Madeline's mom; thank you for making me Connor's mom."

And I mean it. How I mean it.

-30-

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

great post and welcome to the blog party!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Teeni... that brought a tear to my eye! I'm glad you're doing this site. I've missed your editorials. Good luck!
Danni

Anonymous said...

Wow, just wait until you are a grandmom (or nanamom)- you can do this graduation thing all over again with your grandchildren - not soon I know but it will give you one more thing to look forward to in your life.

Anonymous said...

Very nice. I will be watching for more. I am glad you are writing.
--Cousin Trav

Anonymous said...

I sat down to a cup of coffee and your blog this morning anticipating a quick read since I'm supposed to be painting my front porch right now. One hour later, I've perused Leslie's, Chris's, and Rick's blogs. I finally came up for air and told Mike, "I am so mad at Toni Clay right now! We're supposed to be painting the porch!" (Mike says 'thank you'.)
I've missed your writing. It is a breath of fresh air. Thank you for sharing your family, your thoughts, and ....well...you.

Anonymous said...

You have WAAAYYY too much free time on your hands!!!

(Great site though!)

Jack

Anonymous said...

OK, I thought already left a comment, but apparently I didn't. Glad to have you back writing somewhat regularly in the public realm. It's been too long. Will try to link to your blog from the StacyB-log, if I can figure that out. D'oh!

Toni said...

Lisa, anytime I can assist another person in postponing important work on the house, it makes me feel, well, less alone. Tell Mike he's very welcome.

Anonymous said...

Wow sister! You are an amazing writer. I don't think I've ever found myself "yawning" at any of your writings. I wish I could write like this. I hate to read and I really hate to write - except for a few emails here and there. But I find myself doing little of anything lately except changing poopy diapers, scolding a four and five year old for fighting, and scrounging up something for everyone to eat every day. You mentioned healthy meals....what are those? I love you!

Teri said...

Hey Toni, what good reading!

Anonymous said...

This is great - I look forward to your next blog. (Just what is a blog?) Keep writing!!!

Anonymous said...

This is great! If this doesn't make "grandma" come home, I don't know what will. ebp

Anonymous said...

What fun! I have so missed the antics & the intellect of the Clays. Lovely to know I can get a bit of each with just a click of the mouse. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Just need to clarify that I had nothing to do with the contents of the A.K. program or with the fact that I had to hop around the stage like a trained seal. Also, Madeline was a joy to teach (I will miss her singing) and thanks for babysitting my son at the spur of the moment. A.J.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your first post! TClay is back in circulation, y'all. (And I loved that you put a -30- at the end. Nice touch.)
- Elise

Anonymous said...

Superb work/writing.... It's easy to see that you take after that handsome, and talented father of yours.
Love ya,
Anonymous

p.s. you kneed a spell check with this thing.

Leslie said...

Yea! Toni is here!

I should be dragging things out of my garage right now for our final garage sale.

But I am reading your blog.

I like the title. I almost outright stole it for the one I'm doing for Australia (I would have given you credit.) Now I'm glad I didn't.

And liked the tag line. Every summer I too wonder about God's plan when the misquitos come out.

Anonymous said...

Toni, So glad you are now blogging! One more site for me to read before I start my day. Am going to have to start getting up earlier! Gwen

Anonymous said...

After 15 years, I am still amazed by you. You are smart, well-read, thoughtful, and adoring. You are a dear to me.

Anonymous said...

That is an adorable picture! I just noticed that you had three other entries besides The One...Gonna go check out the other two now...