Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Ah, shucks

Wow. When BooMama links, people clicken. Howdy, everyone. I'm honestly a bit overwhelmed at the response to my last post. Thank you. And trust me when I say the one incident I related is not the norm for me.

It's not unusual for me to say in the morning, "Lord, help me die to myself today and live for you."

And by that evening, in a desperate bid not to spank my three-year-old in public, tell him -- after the umpteenth time he's asked for the sucker with the built-in fan: "You can't have that candy because it's poison and it'll kill you." Yeah, that's livin' for Jesus.

It happened at Blockbuster. The teenager behind the cash register looked at me aghast and said (glancing first at my check to get my just-askin'-for-a-CPS-visit name), "Mrs. Clay, you did not."

I said, "Hey, talk to me when you have kids." Then I grabbed "Barbie: Fairytopia" and marched right out of there ... as Connor asked in sonic-boom voice, "It's-poison-and-it'll-kill-me,-mom?-it's-poison?-mom?-it's poison?"

I had some explaining to do.

Anyway, BooMama, thanks sincerely for expanding my blogging world. Some folks I'd already discovered via Leslie's haply thinking; others I will be visiting for the first time. Can't wait. I'm still new to the blogging world, but already it feels as though I'm on the threshold of a fabulous sisterhood. Thank you all.

-30-

10 comments:

Heather Hansen said...

Welcome! Wanted to say hi!

boomama said...

Well, you're welcome. I wouldn't have linked to it if it weren't so stinkin' good. :-)

I will remember the suckers-as-poison tip for future reference. Good work with that, by the way. I've written extensively about my personal campaign to be named Mother of the Year - my achievements include putting my child into time out and then forgetting I put him there, resulting in a stay that leaned toward hours as opposed to mere minutes, as well as accidentally flipping his stroller over so that he landed head first on concrete.

But the suckers-as-poison tip? That's some parenting gold right there.

:-)

Girl Raised in the South said...

Toni - so youre human - good to know. Oh the stories kids will have to tell on us; but that they survived is miraculous. My favorite was (an my children's least favorite...) unless youre bleeding or throwing up do NOT bother me. Next - you can get happy with the same face you got sad with....compassion is NOT one of my spiritual gifts..

God builds them pretty durable - they'll survive our mishandlings and for the most part remember the things you did right. It's okay to be human. I'm looking forward to reading more about your humanness.

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Oh, honey, you have no idea what a sisterhood you're getting into. (Yes, I know it should read "into which you're getting" to be grammatically correct, but I write like I talk, for the most part, and I'm from Arkansas....'Nuff said?) ;-)

Welcome, Toni, and make yourself at home, as we will be visiting and commenting often, and you are welcome at our home blogs, too. Keep up the good work, both blogging and in your campaign for "Mother of the Year", too, LOL. I have some stories that would curl your hair, but I don't want to scare you when we're just getting acquainted. :-)

Brenda said...

I've had several Mother-of-the-Year moments myself. It just goes with the territory, right? Except for the virgin Mary, maybe - and she even lost her kid in the temple! Okay, so it's not the same as JC Penney, and my kids aren't perfect, and. . . What? I was browsing. It's not like I left them there or anything.

Oh yeah, welcome to the 'hood. :)

Leslie said...

At the dinner table one night I had already tried pleading with Caleb to eat vegetables. Then I told him that he would get sick if he didn't eat vegetables. I tried other threats. Nothing worked. Finally I said, "Caleb if you don't eat your vegetables your arms will fall off!"

He burst into tears.

I felt terrible. Told him his arms would not fall off. To which he replied, "Then you LIED to me."

Anonymous said...

Yes, Toni, welcome. I'll be back! :) The funnest part of blogging is getting to know others from around the world.

Sarah said...

I've told Caiden before that God has audibly told me to tell him to behave. So I'm thinking suckers as poison isn't too bad . . .

Robin said...

First of all, I loved your previous post, but was unable to comment thanks to blogger's upset tummy. Secondly, I told my kid today that I was going to let her live with another family since she was so unhappy with hers. I wish I had known it was going to freak her out so badly. Oops.

PEZmama said...

Okay, this one had me literally LOL. That is good stuff.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.