Thursday, December 14, 2006

He did what with what?


I had just closed the front door early this afternoon, clutching a handful of newly delivered Christmas cards and a couple of bills, when I heard a yelp from the kitchen. Not a barbaric yawp, mind you. It was a Connor yelp, but not in one of its usual forms. It wasn't an I'm-furious-my-horse-won't-stand-up holler, or a my-sock-is-bunched-up-in-my-shoe growl. It sounded something like a small, surprised animal.

I had taken only a few steps before he came running toward me. He didn't say a word. Just stuck his tongue out and pointed.

"What?" I asked, seeing no signs of injury or destruction.

His pointer finger pumped like a piston at his now drooling tongue, and he raised both eyebrows, as if to say, "Hello! My tongue is what!"

I leaned down, careful not to get in the line of drool, and inspected it. It looked pink, kinda sandpapery. About what you expect to see in a healthy tongue.

I motioned with envelope-laden hands. "What, Connor?"

"I touched it," he said.

"Touched what?" I asked, but I knew. I knew.

"That." He pointed back toward the kitchen. There was no longer any question, really. But -- seeing that he didn't seem worse for the experience -- I wanted to hold onto the illusion a bit longer that surely, SURELY, my son (who, might I add, takes after his father very, very much) wouldn't do such a thing.

"Show me what you touched."

He stuck his tongue out again and pointed at it a bit peevishly this time.

"No," I began walking toward the kitchen briskly. "What did you touch your tongue on?"

He didn't comment. He couldn’t, really, since he had his tongue in his hand.

"You touched your tongue on the skillet, didn't you?"

I looked over my shoulder at him. He nodded.

"Connor, WHY did you touch the skillet with your tongue?" I removed it from the burner, on which I had briefly (it's possible to get the mail without stepping fully outside our front door) left a grilled-cheese sandwich browning on low heat.

He shrugged. And held his tongue. I examined it again closely and still saw no sign of a burn.

"Connor, haven't I told you never to touch anything on the stove?" He nodded. "That includes WITH YOUR TONGUE."

"Yesth, mahm."

I'm fairly sure he didn't know the skillet was hot. But he suspected it might be. So, he reasoned, the safest way to find out if it was hot or not would be to, you know, test it with his tongue. A tongue is wet, after all.

The obligatory moral of the story is never leave something hot on the burner, however briefly, when there's a four-year-old in the house. I shouldn’t have. If he had been seriously burned -- or burned at all -- it would be a different kind of story and I'd feel awful instead of mildly guilty. (Will there be a point in the rest of my live-long life that I don't feel some degree of guilt associated with parenthood?)

But a secondary moral might very well be, when instructing a boy never to touch the stove or items on it, be clear this includes with his tongue.

-30-

9 comments:

Barb said...

Close call, Toni. It's amazing how they reason these things out, isn't it? Thank goodness he didn't get a serious liplock on that skillet. And just for the record, it doesn't matter how old your kids get, when they do something stupid, you always feel like it's your fault.

And can I just say, he's so stinkin' cute!

Sarah said...

Only a boy:)

And don't feel guilty--if you accept responsibility for every dumb thing your kids do, you'll end up in an asylum.

At least, that's what I tell myself everytime Caiden does something ridiculous. Like flush his head in the church urinal. Or stick a paperclip in an outlet. Or flush his Veggie Tales pirate down the toilet. I could go on forever, and he's only five. The fact that he's still alive never fails to amaze me:)

Anonymous said...

Toni? Is this posting?

Anonymous said...

Okay, so it's Phyllis-Anonymous and I just wrote a comment and tried to post and it erased it! (Oh, like a good little beta blogger it posted my next-nothing comment, but not my good one!) So, I'll try again.

What I said was: Never in a million years would I have imagined a kid sticking his tongue on a skillet! Pulling it off on himself? Yes. Touching it with a finger? Sure. But not with a tongue. Yee-ouch. However, maybe you can console yourself with this: he *probably* won't try it again, AND this amount of ingenuity shows that he is SMART. (And clever, which may lead to more of the same...but at least he's smart!)

Girl Raised in the South said...

I raised a boy - that says it all. Someday, when he's grown, you'll be able to say that and it'll cover it all also. Eat your wheaties! You're gonna need them.

Anonymous said...

Well I do hate to be anonymous, but I am way too lazy to create a blogger account at the moment.

I can't believe he touched his tongue to the skillet. It's further proof that you can never tell what is going on in there heads. Lord have mercy.

Big Mama

PEZmama said...

Toni
I am commenting here because I can't find your e-mail address. You mentioned (on my blog) that you wanted to finish the 90 Bible reading plan a while back. If you haven't, or if you want to do it again, I am starting it on January 10. You are cordially invited to join us.

Details at pezmama.blogspot.com

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Haen't had that one happen yet, but my 7 year old daughter has pulled quite a few similar pranks.

Too clever for his own good. Thanks for sharing.

Sarah said...

Toni, did you give up blogging for Christmas? New Year's?

You are missed :)