Thursday, July 27, 2006

The proposal and the condition

When Roy asked me to marry him, we were on a mostly deserted stretch of Florida beach. We had traveled there together during our respective spring breaks. It was chilly, but not that chilly, so I wondered why he chose to wear his jacket for our walk along the dunes.

The mystery was solved when he dropped to one knee near a stand of swaying beach grass and pulled a small jewelry box out of the jacket. He was as serious as I had ever seen him when he proposed.

Of course, I said yes. Whispered yes. Yelled yes. Became yes. And we kissed and were generally exuberant the way couples are supposed to be at that moment. Well, except my parents. Story goes that when my dad asked my mom to marry him, she started laughing -- the way we women will sometimes do. Apparently Dad hadn't read the happiness-plus-momentous-occasion-sometimes-triggers-bizarre-fits-of-laughter memo. So he thought she was laughing at The Question, which was not the response he hoped for. Fortunately, they got it sorted out in less time than it would take on an episode of "Friends."

So there we are, Roy and I, walking along the surf, full of the promise of the future and our lives together. And it occurs to me that, Hey! I'm going to Ireland when I graduate. I mean I had been planning to see Ireland, live in Ireland since I was in the fifth grade and wrote off to the Irish Embassy for all the free stuff they could stuff in an envelope and send to Athens, Texas.

And Europe. I was traveling Europe. I was SEEING THE WORLD, you understand, Mister? And if we're gonna get married, you're gonna have to come with me. 'Cause that's where I'm goin'.

To which, he replied, "Sure." Roy had already seen a pretty wide swath of the acreage on the other side of the Atlantic, and he was more than happy to see it again with me.

And that's what we did. We graduated together, obtained student work visas for Ireland and the UK, spent four months after graduation saving up funds (and living with my parents; God bless 'em), and then we showed up in Dublin without jobs or a place to live.

It was a grand adventure.

To be continued ...

-30-

6 comments:

Brenda said...

I love adventures! Okay, really I just love to read about adventures, since I don't get out much. Looking forward to the rest of the story.

Barb said...

The proposal itself was so romantic, I can't wait to hear the rest of this story. Glad you're back, Toni.

Girl Raised in the South said...

Can't wait to hear more.

Lacey said...

Loving the beginning! :) Very brave...both for "the condition" & the whole following through with it! :)

Sarah said...

Oh, I KNEW you're way cooler than me--this proves it! Ireland? Proposal in the sand? Oh, Toni, I'm positively jealous right now:) And I can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site...
Running se 1957 mercedes 300 sl Mercedes benz autoparts phone headset Multitrip travel insurance nepal